Moving back to Morocco

myousra

swim/bike/run
hey everyone

i live in canada, currently doing my CA. My parents are moving back to morocco and i'll be leaving with them as soon as im done with school.

I was wondering how is the transition back to morocco?
i've only been there 3 times since i came to canada when i was 7..and im not sure how thats gonna be.. my parents are over the moon, but im like :i dont even know anyone there..

my other issue is my current career path: will i be able to work other there with my CA, or will i have to go back to school?

theres so many things im affraid of.. like when i go there on vacation, i cant wear jewlery or just hang out alone or do regular stuff that i wouldnt need to worry about here..

theres also the cultural aspect..i dont want to sound like a brat but i dont feel like im moroccan...obviously im muslim, i speak arab, i do all the moroccan stuff people do..but i dont get how people think over there.. i dont know if i'll be able to fit

anyone moved back recently after living in canada/us/uk for a while? how was it?

farid_h

<defunct>
Contributeur
my other issue is my current career path: will i be able to work other there with my CA, or will i have to go back to school?

You want a frank answer? Unless you're extremely lucky, your career in Morocco will depend on your parents' network, i.e. their business and family relations. You'll have a pretty hard time to make it there on your own otherwise.

hey everyone

i live in canada, currently doing my CA. My parents are moving back to morocco and i'll be leaving with them as soon as im done with school.

i've only been there 3 times since i came to canada when i was 7..and im not sure how thats gonna be.. my parents are over the moon, but im like :i dont even know anyone there..

theres so many things im affraid of.. like when i go there on vacation, i cant wear jewlery or just hang out alone or do regular stuff that i wouldnt need to worry about here..

I've studied in a british university that had a branch over here , in casablanca and had many classmates coming from US, UK and so on .. and they obviously got used to the moroccan environment easilly without any problem ..

There is actually a big difference between canada and Morocco .We've got nothing in common with canadiens but at least we're open minded a

theres also the cultural aspect..i dont want to sound like a brat but i dont feel like im moroccan...obviously im muslim, i speak arab, i do all the moroccan stuff people do..but i dont get how people think over there.. i dont know if i'll be able to fit

anyone moved back recently after living in canada/us/uk for a while? how was it?

I used to study in a british university that has a branch over here , in casablanca and had many classmates coming from US, UK and so ... who obviously didn't regret the fact they came back because they easilly got used to our environment .

I can understand your feeling , facing the unknow is always something scary .. but you gotta take it positively and have faith.

Yes. I am in the process of moving back to Morocco after I lived, studied, graduated and workded ( an awesome job for 16 years) in US. Although, I am bit older than you and own my own Ocean's front villa in Morocco where I live lone. I think. I am still adjusting to living in Morocco. In US, I feel more free to do what I want. In Morocco I have to consider my family and society a lot more. In US, I can do anything and achieve more alone. In Morocco I have to depond on others and sometimes I have to bribe to get what I am entitled to. But then these are not something really hard to cope with.
In general, I cannot honestly say where I like living more, because I like living in both countries (US & Morocco) equally......., and I really think you've to come here to Morocco and see for yourself.

Good luck and you can always contact me whether here in US or in Morocco, if you need anything or if you just want to chat or something. T'halai fi rassek.

myousra

swim/bike/run
thanks for your answers

i guess i have to try and see how it goes

@lamiss88 its not that i dont have faith..its a different society, so obviously im scared..though im sure i'll commit more than a couple faux pas ;)

@Sword did you have to update your degree(s)? and how is the work environment? and whats with the freedom? as in..youre free or tum tum tuuummm..??

@Sword did you have to update your degree(s)? and how is the work environment? and whats with the freedom? as in..youre free or tum tum tuuummm..??

Salam Akhti,

No. I haven't updated my degree yet. But I am officially told that My American degree is equal to Moroccan degree. But haven't done the papers work yet. I still have my job of 16 years in Chicago as we speak, which I am thinking of quitting soon...... and looking for job in Morocco is the last thing on my mind. So, I cannot tell you about the work environment in Morocco since I never held job in Morocco. Typically people of Canada, Uk, and US get good education at home, then get good paying jobs, save their money, invest in their retirement, then retire at very young age to Morocco or to other countries of their choices. Regarding cultural shock in Morocco, which can be overwhelming at first. I say, give it time and perhaps will feel like home again. However, be watchful of things such as sexual harassment which is rampant in Morocco..... By the freedom thing. I simply meant things are totally different in Morocco than US.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Mounir8

Al 3AZ Oula KHOZ
hey everyone

Dear myousra,

Hope all is well. I have lived in Canada for 12 years. Now, I’m living in Casablanca since 2009. I’m enjoying my life with my family and friends. Also, the weather is nice. On the other hand there are a lot of other things that you have to cope with it such as people mentality,……………………………..

Let’s talk about the job market now. In my case my background is IT + Finance. I hold a French Degree from HEC Montréal and an ‘’Anglo-Saxon’’ Diploma from McGill University. I have a mixed profile. This helped a lot during my job hunting. (Also Finance is finance everywhere and IT is IT everywhere).

In your case you hold a CA (Chartered Accountant Designation). You should be aware that the accounting rules are different between Morrocco and Canada. Moreover, the IFRS are not completely applied overhere. I know that several multinationals US companies are looking for people who know US GAAP. So it you master US Gaap it’s a BIG PLUS.

There are opportunities in Morocco. By the way the economy growth in Morocco for the next year will be 4 %. A big change is taking place in Morocco. However, it’s not easy to find a good job quickly. In my case it took me 3 months to find a job with a US multinational firm (I was very lucky). I know few people who took them more than 6 months. (Koul Wahed Ou Razkou).

If you have more questions feel free to contact me (By the way your MP is not activated). Finally, I can send you many files which contain the HR information contacts here in Morocco and a list of cabinets of recruitment.

All the best.